Wednesday, February 07, 2007

two - "I am a Jealous God"

While studying the Vikings recently, my son became aware of a Veggie Tales video - "Lyle the Friendly Viking" - and was keen to watch it. My husband and I had a good think about that, and turned him down. Fortunately, our church library's 3-2-1 Penguins collection was a good substitute.

So what do the penguins have that Lyle doesn't - after all they are both produced by Big Ideas?

Part of the answer is in Exodus 20:4 where the Lord commands us not make idols for ourselves, for "I the Lord your God am a jealous God". Our biggest problem with the Veggies is that they take the stories from the Bible and re-tell them in an inaccurate way. In their effort to be fun, and neutralize some of the more violent parts of the Bible (murder, execution, etc.) they deform the story to be almost unrecognizable. I am not sure of my children's ability to be able to separate the wheat of the truth from the chaff of the add-ins and mutations, and so I prefer to show them a completely made-up story (like the Penguins) rather than risk their understanding of God's word.

God is jealous of his own glory and truth. I think that teaching our children to recognize his truth is a good way to honour him.

No comments: